The cost of energy just seems to grow and grow. Every year it seems to cost more to stay warm, or to stay cool, and many people are really feeling the pinch.
There are a number of low cost, or no cost, steps that you can take to reduce your energy bill and keep costs down.
Here are just a few suggestions:
- Eliminate any drafts in your home. Drafts can account for up to 20% of your energy bill.
- Use low energy light bulbs throughout your house. Start by changing over the bulbs that are on most often and then replace the rest as they fail.
- Choose detergents that let you use your dishwasher and washing machine on lower temperature settings.
- Turn things off when they're not in use - all the way off, so that you aren't still drawing "standby power". Unplug devices from the wall or use a special standby power elimination power strip.
- Change your supplier if you can get a better deal.